Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Best things come to those who wait

Norwiegian referee Terje Hauge has admitted he may have acted too quickly in sending off Arsenal keeper Jens Lehmann during Barcelona's Champions League triumph over the London club last night in Paris.Hauge dismissed Lehmann in the 18th minute for fouling Samuel Eto'o, with Ludovic Giuly's resulting effort ruled out as Hauge had blown for a free-kick. "I would have liked to have taken a few more seconds before I made a decision," Hauge told a Norwegian newspaper. "If I'd done that, I could have given a goal and given a yellow card as well."

However, Arsenal striker Thierry Henry accused referee Terje Hauge of favouring Barcelona after the Gunners lost the Champions League final 2-1 to the Primera Liga side. He told Sky Sports 1: "I don't know if the referee had a Barcelona shirt on because they kicked me all over the place. Maybe next time I'll learn how to dive. I expect the referee to do his job but I don't think he did."

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like this was a great game to watch... what's up with the whole Italian Soccer league? Anyone heard how it's been run like a mafia... with the chairman pressuring Refs and basically deciding which teams will win the championship... crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Italian football has been thrown into disarray with champions Juventus under investigation for match-fixing and illegal betting.

    Juve clinched their 29th Italian championship on Sunday 14 May when they beat Reggina 2-0, which ensured they finished three points ahead of rivals AC Milan.

    But Juventus are suspected of match-fixing in the 2004/05 season and could even be relegated to Serie B if they are found guilty.


    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4993482.stm

    ReplyDelete