Sunday, February 06, 2005

One Love

Today is Bob Marely's 60th Birthday. He died of cancer in 1981, however his message still lives on in his music.

News Stories here:
BBC
NYTIMES
Reuters

I wish I could say something more eloquent... but I'll just quote Bob.

"Until the philosophy which holds one race superior and another inferior is finally and permanently discredited and abandoned... everywhere is war. That until there are no longer first and second class citizens of any nation, until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance than the color of his eyes, me say war. That until the basic human rights are equally guaranteed to all without regard to race... me say war. That until that day, the dream of lasting peace, world citizenship, rule of international morality... will remain in but a fleeting illusion to be perused, but never attained. Now everywhere is war.”

-War: Rastaman Vibration (1976)

No comments:

Post a Comment